Thursday, April 18, 2024

Do Not Touch the Swimmer

As a swimmer I am amazed at the adults and the parents and Simon, one the lifeguards at the Lincoln RI MacColl YMCA Pool. This particular lifeguard is too young, shy and afraid to exert his authority. Yesterday three teens wandered into my lane while I was swimming laps. I crashed into one. The other two wandered in as I was switching to flippers and I explained that it was a lap swim lane. Meanwhile the parents of toddlers are glued to their phones. Many teens and adults and even fellow lap swimmers do not understand THE ZONE swimmers get into while swimming. Switching lanes can be like crossing a dangerous highway. I have had people grab me by the arm while about to do a flip turn at the end of the lane not realizing this is TERRIFYING and WRONG. Shouting to the swimmer is best. You wouldn't grab a runner or someone lifting weights. Be aware people!

No comments: