Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Grimy Guy

Today the brook was swollen with tea-colored water as Lily and I crossed the white wooden footbridge to play in the muddy ballfield. I wore my black hat and red scarf but I forgot my gloves. My fingers were chilly by the time we headed to the library. On the way, I spotted two tiny red knitted gloves facing each other as if in prayer hanging in the shrubs outside the bank. I thought maybe they could stretch to fit, but I didn't want to wear them without washing them first. I took them and stashed them in my pocket.

When I got to the library, I tied Lily to the lamppost out front and went in. I watched her through the window while I waited at the circulation desk. I saw Grimy Guy walk up to her and pet her while she jumped into his arms. Grimy Guy works on boilers and chimneys and any odd job that he can get. I think most people are scared of him because he is often grimy and missing teeth and parts of his fingers. But he is smart, kind, hilarious, and a good artist. After greeting Lily, he came in to the checkout desk and announced, "That dog is a menace to the community, she is towing the library and has already moved it a few feet."

No comments: