Saturday, May 16, 2020

Phoebe Martone

I was so excited about tasting Mexican food when I first moved to California in the early 60's.. It was a big treat. I'd never had an avocado either.

Here's something funny about avocados. When I later went to Rhode Island for college (after my divorce), there were no Mexican restaurants; at least I didn't see any then. Little by little, Taco Bells starting popping up here and there (also, finally little mom and pop Mexican places also started).

I was at the supermarket and I plunked a couple of avocados on the conveyor belt. The store clerk was very young. She asked me, "What's this?" (She didn't know what an avocado WAS). I said, "It's an avocado." She looked confused, so I said: "IT'S THE GREEN STUFF AT TACO BELL." She looked surprised, held up one of the avocados to her buddy at the next register and said, "HEY! THIS IS THE GREEN STUFF AT TACO BELL!!"

As a Californian, I got a big kick outta that.

-Phoebe Martone

No comments: