Friday, February 18, 2022

Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard. Anne Sexton

Saints have no moderation, nor do poets, just exuberance.

Live or die, but don't poison everything.

Anne Sexton

Before I was married, I had never washed one dish or seen how you fried an egg or baking a potato.

Anne Sexton

I was trying my damnedest to lead a conventional life, for that was how I was brought up, and it was what my husband wanted of me. But one can't build little white picket fences to keep nightmares out.

Anne Sexton

Until I was twenty-eight, I had a kind of buried self who didn't know she could do anything but make white sauce and diaper babies. I didn't know I had any creative depths.

Anne Sexton

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.

Anne Sexton

God has a brown voice, as soft and full as beer.

Anne Sexton

 

God owns heaven but He craves the earth.

Anne Sexton

 

I want to be a child and not a mother, and I feel guilty about this.

Anne Sexton

No comments: