Saturday, February 19, 2022

Eyes and Ears

In 2nd grade Mrs. Molnia showed slides on the opaque projector

how the American Indians buried ears of corn 

each with a big silver fish to fertilize and nourish the corn

and bring it back to life

 

the shades were pulled on a sunny day to make the room dark 

so we could see the yellow corn and the silver fish

the dead fish eye reincarnated as an ear of corn swaying in the breeze

 

my mother checked the box

on her drivers license 

to donate her eyes

and organs

 

but we had a piano

 

my mother made sure

to divide our talents

you have the eye 

and your sister has the ear

we cannot share or compare to this day

 

but who has the piano? 

 

like apples and oranges, completely different fruits

I drew pictures

and she played the violin

 

you have the eye

and she has the ear

 

when I die

bury my blue eyes

with a yellow ear of corn 

so I can be born again

to feel the breeze

No comments: