Saturday, October 28, 2006

Coinciding Dents

Have you ever driven in traffic and have a car turn towards you dangerously, and you notice they already have a dent exactly where they are about to hit you? What a metaphor for the human psyche. We have to watch out that we don't keep falling back into the same dent.

I knew a couple who got hit on the right side of their car as they were making a right turn into their driveway. So they decided their driveway was very dangerous and they would, from that point on, drive around the block, face the traffic and always turn left into their driveway. When we went over for dinner they warned us to do the same but I never would, it seemed ridiculous to me. Then one day I figured out what must have happened. When planning to turn right, they must have turned left to make a big spacious loop in order to turn right, not realizing that the car behind them really believed they were turning left and thereby attempted to pass them on the right. Because they never examined what they did wrong in order to prevent it from recurring, they just continually avoided turning right. Many people run their lives this way. A guy we met from Manhattan said I was in Brooklyn once I got a parking ticket there, I'm never going back!

No comments: