Tuesday, October 31, 2006

She's Got Weimaraner In Her

My dog has tufts of hair growing between the pads of her paws. It makes traction difficult on linoleum, and the snow and ice collect there forming ice balls on her feet in the winter. Then she tries to walk without touching the ground! She'll lift one paw, then another, and then a different one, trying to lift off like Mary Poppins. I try to clean out her paws and that sometimes works, otherwise I carry her home. Last winter I got dog booties and we put them on her, which surprisingly she didn't mind. She's got Weimaraner in her, she doesn't mind getting dressed up. Anyway she ran like lightning, her usual speed, through the snowy cemetery. By the end of the walk the booties were shredded to bits and looked 1,000 years old. Maybe this year we should sew some out of leather scraps for her. Purple or green booties would look great with her red-brown fur. Maybe one yellow and one orange one too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily, you can get tougher booties - they make them for sled dogs that run hundreds of miles on ice and snow. Check out sleddogbooties.com. I'm joking. About the web site. But you can get tougher booties - I had them for Tucker when he was a puppy with me in Duluth the winter we made the movie, Iron Will.