Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sourdough Starter

I baked my first loaf of bread when I was fifteen. It was for my tenth grade art class banquet. I made the wheat soy sesame bread from Diet for a Small Planet and it came out perfectly. Round risen golden loaves with the ultimate perfume. I was hooked and have been baking bread ever since. A few years ago I decided, reluctantly, to cultivate a sourdough starter. Since I've got no patience for house plants I was skeptical. But I kept this jar of pale mud in my fridge and basically I left it alone. If I was baking bread I'd use a blob of the starter and replenish it. Over time I'd lose track of it but it didn't die. I was secretly disappointed. I didn't want another thing to have to maintain. I continued to use it and replenish it, making bread with an occasional blob. The instructions say if three weeks have gone buy without using it throw out a blob and replenish it so it won't sour to death. I can't throw anything out, so I keep making bread with a sourdough blob thrown in. Years have gone buy and the taste of the starter has developed into a deep sour, giving the loaves an amazing flavor that develops over the week as we eat it; it gets better rather than going stale. I can't break the culture of yeast now! I realized this jar of starter has been keeping me baking bread. Maybe that’s the real reason why they call it starter.

6 comments:

Rachel Nguyen said...

Hi Emily,

Yeah!!!!

I am so excited to see you writing a blog.

Thanks for inviting me over for a peek.

Love you.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

I love your natural, stream-of-consciousness style of writing, weaving between innocence and insight. And when so inspired, you write with outright immodesty and flamboyant humor. It's always interesting to journey along with you. Love you sis, Elle

Anonymous said...

if I didn't already know you I would wish I did! keep that underwater glow going and keep sending it out into the world for all of us to use when we navigate our own waters. yr pal, bunny

Anonymous said...

I KNOW YOU AND THIS IS TRUE TO YOUR SPIRIT.

WRITING MUST RING TRUE TO BE GOOD AND YOU DO.

YET ANOTHER FEATHER IN YOUR BIRDLIKE HAT!

CONGRATULATIONS FROM THE QUEEN OF THE NILE!

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I have had a bread starter in the back of my fridge for over a year now. I fed it a few times and promptly forgot about it. This post, though I am reading it some time after you wrote it, appears as a providential (Woonsocketal) command (or familial) to put that old starter to work. I think I'll feed it tonight, and tomorrow night, and on Saturday I'll pull on a tshirt you drew on with a marker sometime in the 80s featuring two men on the beach surrounded by oversize scissors and tape dispensers, and then I'll cover the kitchen, and a red and green plaid apron, and my curly hair with flour.

Urban Mermaid said...

Hey Paul,
I got my sourdough starter in San Francisco originally. But now you live there! So great. I keep my starter in a widemouth mason jar the fridge. Tonight I made semolina sourdough pizza. I topped it with spinach, olives, garlic, capers, chopped sundried tomatoes, grated parmesan cheese, olive oil, raisins...

Love,
Emily