Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mud Flap Maiden

I woke refreshed at three-fifty this morning after having narrative dreams; I was dictating to my blog head the virtues of pressure-cooking beans, and my dog was scratching a flea. I love waking at four. It's as quiet as a Sunday morning.

I am out of working elastic in my bras and have been putting off replacing them. It's only been 12 years, jeez if they made them out of metal they would last a century! This morning I discovered the torpedo bra I had bought years ago to wear in my 50's dresses. I put it on and I looked like a woman in a racy comic strip. It's hilarious! Lifting these mud flaps up, I can see my hips again! I'm a blogging mud flap maiden!

Pressure cookers are another amazing invention. For years I've threatened to bring my 27 year old Presto Pressure Cooker to demonstrate steam cookery at the annual Steam-Up at the Steam and Wireless Museum. I did teach a pressure cooking class once. It was fun. We made applesauce in three minutes, brown rice and beans in 20 minutes, steamed kale in three minutes and lamb stew in nineteen minutes! My friend visited Tibet and when she got up in the mountains the monks were cooking yak meat and barley in gigantic pressure cookers. One day a few years ago I wrote a fan letter to Presto telling them my passion for my Presto cooker. They asked me if I minded if they hung my letter in the lobby at their headquarters.

2 comments:

Rachel Nguyen said...

Steam Machine Museum?!


Sign me up!

Urban Mermaid said...



New England Wireless & Steam Museum https://newsm.org/

A Non-Profit • Public • Educational • Engineering Museum


Yankee Steam-Up 2020 will be on Saturday, October 3, 2020. The sun will shine. The steam engines will run. Massie Station and the wireless exhibits will be open. Guest speakers. Exhibitors. Steam models. Food.

Plan now for next fall. Put Steam-Up 2020 on your calendar.