Saturday, October 28, 2006

Slow Down

Preconceived notions and expectations get me in trouble because they are self-defeating. I tell myself to surrender all the pictures I have of friendship, success, how my workdays ought to go, the definition of a balanced meal, and the importance of matching socks! All of these plans should be shed like snake skin. Hit the refresh button and update yourself to reality.

It seems everything takes longer in real life and we are continually trying to live up to our minds-eye's speedometer. Do dairy farmers have this problem? They are pastors of the pasture, ministers of the earth. You can't rush a cow giving milk. Hey, where are we all rushing off to anyway? Maybe the day should be 48 hours long with two chunks of sleep. Would that help slow us down? How about a day of not looking at clocks, just relying on our own circadian rhythms? This weekend we move the clocks backwards, out of daylight savings time, to daylight wasting time. I don't mind, I actually like the early morning brightness and the early night can feel cozy when you are able to keep warm.

No comments: