Monday, October 15, 2007

YMCA Teacher

Part I

I am teaching an after-school art and poetry class through the YMCA. My neighbor Lisa, who is 23, is my assistant. Being new staff members we get to have YMCA memberships for free! We took a tour today of the newly renovated part of the Y, across the street from the pool building and connected by a skywalk. There were half a dozen Nautilus rooms! Lisa was impressed - she loves to do that stuff. I never knew the Y had so many gyms. I like basketball and swimming, but I fell in love with the dance studio! I couldn't believe everything was air-conditioned. There was even a room full of computers. Our class will happen on Wednesdays, 3:30-5:30. It is free to local teens, and funded by a RI Foundation grant. We will be working toward creating panels to install in the skywalk. We'll combine original poetry and illustration into what will be essentially posters!

I am happy to work with Lisa because she is a perfect assistant - joyful, energetic, positive, and good with people. She will probably be hired for more things at the Y. She loves babysitting little kids and has done that her whole life so far. I helped her fill out an application for babysitting work at the Y.

I am having the class meet across the street from the YMCA at the Beacon School, which is a charter high school. They are letting us use the big beautiful 3rd-floor art room which overlooks Main Street and the Stadium Theater marquee!

Part II

I am pleased with how my first art class went and I'm already looking forward to next Wednesday. I had the kids draw their hands a few times and then some objects I had brought; antique shoe forms, an old-fashioned egg beater, and a potato masher. We took an apple break and all ate Empire apples I bought from a nearby orchard, The Big Apple. During the break we looked at books; I showed them a bunch of illustration and art from my library, the diary of May Sarton, and Jimmy Santiago Baca's poetry. Then we all drew a view of Main Street from the window. Each person got their own window. We have such a fabulous view up high above Main Street and so many windows!! Then I had everyone sit opposite each other and draw each other's faces (an exercise where you don't look down while you draw). I was pleased with how they did, and Lisa was great. She knew how to help a grieving girl in the class who she knows. For homework I am asking them to keep drawing and writing in their sketchbooks. They had fun and they are bringing friends next week. There were some Beacon School theater students who wanted to attend, but they had a meeting to go to. Maybe I should put up a shocking pink poster in Beacon's lobby next Tuesday: Illustration/Poetry class Weds at 3:30. Next week I'll show them work by Reginald Marsh and Edward Hopper, Max Beckmann, Toulouse Lautrec - urban visual artists!!

Part III; Burning Up the Baklava

I wanted to publicize my free YMCA art class, so I had the Y print up a bunch more flyers, made some phone calls, and hopped on my bike. I first visited the boys Feinstein School directly behind my house. I was able to speak with the principal (cool dude) and art teacher (cool lady) and secretary. When I made it clear the class was free and that we wanted the kids who don't normally get this kind of opportunity, they were on my side. I could see my house from the classroom windows!

Then I went to the middle school. I carried my bike into the building. The secretary was annoyed. "This is a school!" she shouted. I just smiled. When I told her about my free art class she cheered up. Then she said she would announce my class over the loudspeaker and mail my flyers to all of the parents!

I took another trip to the Beacon School to say hello to Robert and Tina again and give out more flyers. I LOVE THAT PLACE!!! I visited the public library and left flyers with Chris the children's room librarian and Claire at the main desk. I took a pit stop at Sheahan Printers (to ask for paper scraps for the class) and stopped at Joe's Moldy Oldies record store on the way home and told Joe all about it! He was thrilled and thought of some kids to tell.

I took a spill when I saw Lisa and waved to her while trying to pull over and jump the curb on my bike (stupid me!). Luckily more humor than blood. Two more schools to go; Woonsocket High School and the girls Feinstein School next week. I figure I should keep pedaling to burn up some baklava I have been enjoying lately!!

No comments: