Sunday, October 03, 2010

More Fun Than A Lawn

Yesterday on my walk through East Woonsocket I saw two gigantic shiny bright orange pumpkins on the front steps of a house. They were not shaped like the round squat pumpkins you normally see. They looked much larger and a bit stretched out lying on their sides. I saw a man in the yard and called out to him, "These are gorgeous pumpkins. They look homegrown. Did you grow them?" "Yes I did," he said, walking towards me. He said he grew an even larger pumpkin that he gave to his son. He said he grew watermelons and corn too, pointing to the garden patch. The corn stalks were dry and brown but still standing. "More fun than a lawn," he said. I noticed a huge green plant in a clay pot beside the front door. "Is that elephant ears?" "Yes it is." "Lovely!" "Glad you're enjoying them." "That's the whole fun of walking around," I said, "you get to see people's gardens."

No comments: