Saturday, October 23, 2010

Torn

Today I saw a boy I recognize from the area. He was driving in reverse down the narrow driveway that belongs to my neighborhood parking lot. He was having difficulty navigating, and bumped into the cement wall just as we were driving in, so he decided to drive forward up to the row of garages and turn around. He thought he had put the car in reverse, but instead he bolted forward, crashing into the steel garage door. Then he backed up and drove away as fast as he could.

Two years ago just after I adopted Lily, I was standing in my yard with her and she spotted a cat. She jumped the fence and was off and running before I could stop her. I chased her, shouting her name while trying to catch up to her before she reached the busy street nearby. I was more and more frantic with each ignored call of her name. I was terrified that she would be hit by a car; her life flashed before my eyes. It was a crisp February day. My shouts echoed off the buildings. Suddenly a kid stepped into the street, a boy I recognize but hadn't seen in years. He was checking out the commotion. Lily stopped running, turned around, and trotted towards him. She wagged her tail and jumped up to say hello. He petted her as I ran over and put her leash on. "You saved her life," I told him. It was our good fortune that he had been visiting next door and had heard me yelling her name. Now whenever I see him I say to his friends, "He's a hero, he saved Lily's life!"

This is the boy who drove into the garage today. Just after the crash and escape, the owner of the garage stepped out into his yard next door. I was heartbroken, but I knew I had to tell him what I had seen. The police would be involved. The boy didn't seem to have much control of his car. I hope he's OK.

No comments: