Saturday, January 01, 2011

Bad Waitress

When I was nineteen I followed my boyfriend to North Carolina and landed a job as a waitress at a cool BBQ joint in Chapel Hill called Crooks. It had a big pink plastic pig on the roof. They sold purple t-shirts with yellow typewriter type printed across the front: "Pig In The Sky."

I remember wiping down the big round black and chrome-edged tables while David Bowie's "Let's Dance" was blasting on the jukebox. I loved Bowie's music. I was a pretty good cashier because I could count backwards and remembered to line all the presidents up. One day I told them I could waitress, though I never had. One waitress was going back to art school to study photography, and she said she'd recommend me. I thanked her and applied for the position.

After I got hired I ran out and found a 1940's crepe pink-and-blue A-line dress and vintage alligator pumps. On my first day a fellow waiter, older, tall, with wire-rimmed glasses, warned, "You don't want to be out-dressing your customers!" I had nothing else to wear. All I owned in the world was a VW bug, a dog, and a few pairs of t-shirts and shorts. I lived in a tipi. I swam in ponds every day after work to bathe. (I was constantly getting ear infections because hot NC pond scum is overpopulated with bacteria.)

One day I was serving a family and they needed more BBQ sauce. Our very distractingly-handsome gay boss made it clear that we must always carry a tray even if delivering just a spoon. So I placed a tall narrow bottle of BBQ sauce on the tray and rushed back out to the table, holding the skinny bottle on the tray up by my ear. This is a lot harder than just holding it in your hand, and requires some practice! I lost control, and the bottle made a double forward somersault in the air and landed, spinning, madly spraying thick red sauce across the floor onto a customer's bare ankles. I apologized profusely, and the woman said, "I'm fine, but look over there." I turned around and saw the back of a very large man in a huge white shirt. He had a red stripe of BBQ sauce down his shirt like a stripe in the road. I turned away pretending I didn't see it, because after all he hadn't noticed yet.

After my shift, as I was walking across the gravel driveway to my blue VW bug, the boss ran out and told me not to come back. I was fired. I cried over my failure, the rejection, my posing revealed. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because soon after I packed up and came home to my beloved Rhode Island. But I never forgot how bad I was at waitressing. I never got better at it, which is also a blessing. And to this day I never try to balance tall skinny bottles of anything on trays. I'm happy to use my grubby little hands.

3 comments:

Gregg said...

I once worked as kitchen prep for my friend's Mom's restaurant in East Providence. In my first week there I got pretty good at making salads. One time I cut open a big bermuda onion and a pair of sunglasses suddenly popped out on the chopping block. "Wow!," I thought, these would look really good on the Salade Nicoise, which I was preparing. I dressed up the salad to look like Dizzy Gillespie, with a nice jazz beret and everything, all made out of salad. Didn't think twice about it and just sent it out with the other food. A blue haired old Providence lady was the recipient of my Salade Nicoise and she let out a shriek that could be heard from front to back - really stopped the whole show! Next thing I know I was fired! So I guess the take away was that it's really not that great to put art into people's food. I walked out a bit sad but laughing too. I ended up sharing a reefer with the carpenter in the parking lot before heading home.

Teresa Scarborough said...

I think I would have just turned away too if the customer hadn't noticed. lol. I don't understand having to always carry a tray. My first waiting job made me walk around the restaurant with lemons on my tray, and I couldn't drop them. I've waited tables a few times on and off over course the these past ten years, and I've loved it, but my memory just sucks...especially if it's a party of 6 or more. My notepad gets all jumbled, and I forget who ordered what, and it's just horrible if they can "build their own burger." THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME! lol.
Even the best servers have their own horror stories.

Unknown said...

Emily, you arrived on the scene a few years before Bill Neal transformed Crooks the BBQ joint into Crooks Corner, a restaurant of national renown, famous for Southern dishes, especially Shrimp and Grits, which we may have prepared for you and Bill once upon a time. Who knew you were a waitress there? Or maybe I did know that...
And Crooks is where Hilary and I had dinner on one of our first dates.