Saturday, July 09, 2011

Life is Funny

As a child I had a recurring dream that I would make a new friend and one day I'd ask her who her father was and she would reply "Him!" pointing to my father. I'd say "No, that's MY father," and we'd argue and I'd be confused. There are a few women who claim my father as their own, a claim that is actually true for my two fathers and four sisters. Only one of my sisters is at peace with my having the same father since we both didn't live with him as a father! I wasn't informed that he was seriously ill until a few days before he died. Neither were two other daughters, and so all three of us came together to say goodbye to him on his deathbed. Not surprisingly, we were also all strangers to each other. After my father died, his fourth daughter wrote me from Hawaii about how great a father he had been to her. I envied her experience, and realized that my childhood premonition had come true.

No comments: