Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Hunt

I love the hunt. I love to help a friend find a job, a dog, a hat, or a house. I'll go to the bargain food aisle just to feel the adventure of trying pomegranate seltzer or shittake mushroom rice crackers or coffee that has a cool retro label.

The hunt is about being resourceful. For instance, I'd rather bicycle or roller skate to work than have a gym membership. That I live close to the financial bottom doesn't mean I am lacking appreciation or imagination.

The other morning at summer school my student looked sleepy while we were playing theater games. So I offered her an imaginary cup of coffee. We both laughed, and she did seem a bit more awake after taking a sip.

Sometimes I want to be a tourist in my own house. Let's sleep under the piano I'll say. It's a cheap vacation! Lets make a cake out of beets. Let's put root beer in our iced coffee. Every place can be an adventure when you enter a different door.

I still believe in the power of one's imagination.

No comments: