Saturday, November 17, 2012

Holiday Anxiety


Dear Eloise,

I have a sister-in-law, Gertie, who for over 40 years has refused my cooking and my home-made bread and rolls at family gatherings but she looks for my compliments for all of the things she makes.

She even assigned me to bake loaves for her wedding. Last summer I was paid in bread for playing the piano on Sunday afternoons at my local bakery, so I brought that assortment of breads to the reception with a few loaves of my own. Gert was not happy and let me know she was disappointed. I was horrified at her rudeness.

Now she has the nerve to assign me the baking of a pie she hates, mincemeat, for the family Thanksgiving meal. So I am planning to stay home and watch the ducks on the pond and make my favorites, spinach pie and pumpkin pie.

Am I over-reacting? Or is Gert afraid of me?

Love,
Edith

From a friend:

Dear Edith
I'm sure you figured out by now that Gertie is a very sick person who is extremely jealous of you so she tries to set you up for failure whenever she can. Your plan to stay home and enjoy your own company (or visit friends who love you; if you let them know you are available from now on and not stuck going to sick relatives' houses) is an excellent one.
Janis
p.s. If you are stuck seeing Gertie now and then, feel free to define yourself, just as you did with the bread. Do what you please, as there is no pleasing Schmertie.

No comments: