Monday, April 22, 2013

A Day

The divorced men work hard and play hard. They grill steaks and tear apart their house. They use hydraulic tools to staple cedar shingles. Occasionally the ex wives visit with their young kids. On warm days their three hilarious bulldogs charge the fence as I walk by with Lily. Once I saw a gigantic snapping turtle the size of a manhole cover crawl up into their driveway from the mill pond opposite them. This was years before they lived there. I rang bells and knocked on windows to tell the owners not to run the turtle over. In summer there's a symphony of bullfrogs that can be heard from their house.

When I am walking my dog it gives me superpowers, and I'll talk to everyone sometimes for an extended visit. It's an amazing world.

Yesterday I was was walking and ran into a whole family I often see. They have three sweet kids and their two dogs like Lily. We were standing in the middle of the quiet street that runs along the pond. The parents sat on the curb the kids and I were wiggling our noses ears and curling our tongues, laughing our heads off. The young girl age 8 was talking like she was Dracula from Transylvania. It made my day.

No comments: