Saturday, April 20, 2013

Anne Lamott

Barry Lopez said, "Sometimes a person needs a story more than food to stay alive." To stay alive! I was saved by books at 5, and ever since.

The great Barry Lopez wrote, "Everyone is held together with stories. That is all that is holding us together, stories and compassion."

"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." --Frederick Buechner

In Secret Life of Bees, Kidd said, "Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here."

87 year old black woman asked during my talk in Dallas, "I don't know if I should take a break & write my story, and 500 people roared: yes.

I've been saved in the dark by th light of stories since I cd first read. They're like keychain flashlights: bright enough somehow to see by.

I want to get a tattoo of "Occupy your heart," Based on Occupy Wall Street. Rise up: it's your heart, your life Fill it. Tell its stories.

Sometimes we need stories more than anything else. I hope you're in the middle of reading or writing something wonderful, rich and true.

Sam & I roller-skating when he was 7. I kept falling. Ow. Sam: "Don't give up, Mom. You get right back up on your hind legs and start over.

I can't see my flowering pear tree beneath her afro of foliage. Maybe a trick,as when prisoners or teens leave a dummy behind. She's in Rio!

Jax woke me urgently b/c top story of flowering pear was bathed in light. He said, "Nana, the leafy tree is sunning up." And now I am too.

- some of Anne Lamott's tweets this week

Also short interview with her son Was I a Good Mom? Read here.

No comments: