Thursday, November 20, 2014

A Queen in the Closet

I ran into the the blonde girl who works at the Downtown Burger when walking Lily. She told me her boyfriend left for another woman. "I'm sorry," I said. "Are you still in the cottage?"
"Yes, I got a room-mate. I gave her my bed since she has a baby. I've been sleeping on the floor for three months," she said.
"Oh, I have a queen-sized mattress rolled up in my closet. Someone gave it to me years ago and I've never used it. I'm happy to give it to you," I said. "I can bring it to you."
"Thanks, I get out at 5 PM. Let me know." She said scurrying off to work.

I tried to move the mattress myself but it was a lot heavier than I remembered. So I waited until Bill got home. After dinner Bill and I dragged the queen mattress out of the closet and slid her down the stairs. We carried her outside. By this time it was dark out. I began laughing uncontrollably. "It feels like we're moving a dead body," I said. I was becoming weak from laughter and kept dropping her as we tried to lug her across the parking lot to the car. We finally stuffed her into the Honda and drove to the cute cottage. I knocked on the back door. No answer. I knocked on a few windows, no answer. I knocked on the front door. No answer. All the lights were on. I saw colorful kids toys everywhere. I knocked on the back door again. Oh well. I thought, we could just leave it here. But I knew someone would steal it.
"I hear footsteps," Bill said. The blonde girl answered the door and she held it wide open as we carried the queen mattress into her tiny warm kitchen. Her room-mate came down and immediately picked up a gray plastic broom and started sweeping the floor. The scent of marijuana wafted down. We introduced ourselves to her, laughed about bringing them the body, and then we all said goodnight.
"I noticed she didn't give us eye contact," Bill said when we got back back into the car. "She was embarrassed that we were giving her this big gift. She's a hardworking girl and very proud of it."
"That makes sense," I said. "It's not a problem. I only see her once in a while, so it's fine."

No comments: