Thursday, November 27, 2014

Nat and Sophie, My Heritage

My Brighton Beach Grandma swam every morning at 7 Am in Sheeps Head Bay on Brighton Beach. Then she'd shower, dress up and take the subway into Manhattan for her job as a hostess in a restaurant. After work she'd meet my Grandfather Nat at his store, United Blower. Grandpa's store on Centre Street on the Bowery, was tiny and next to OTB. He sold fans and engines, located off Canal Street NYC. He let the Bowery bums come in to use the bathroom and he took them out for breakfast.
My first apartment was right around the corner on Mott Street between Grand and Broome. I was 17 and still in High school! I was a cashier at Gillie's 1840 on Bleeker Street. I'd visit Grandpa every day for lunch. I ate an apple and an orange at his big oak teacher's desk in his office under the portrait of his father, my great grandfather. He had the spark he's say pointing to his father, and you do too.

No comments: