Sunday, November 23, 2014

Peel My Love Like an Onion

Ana Casillo is my hero. She is a magnificent painter too! I love this book, Peel My Love Like an Onion.
The world needs a picture book, memoir, biography, and children's book of Ana Castillo. A most inspiring woman.

Dominguez Gallery Pilsen in Chicago Dec. 5th 6:30 p.m. Ana Castillo, brief reading and signing. Poster and painting exhibition.

Perhaps because Ana Castillo’s art is so very personal; perhaps even more personal than her profoundly soul-baring poems, essays and novels; perhaps that is why she doesn’t show them. Whatever the reasons, there is at once a child-like freshness, joy and innocence while at the same time a womanly-wise cautiousness, and reserve in her artwork, especially her self-portraits, which speak of a woman who lives, and has lived, a full life.
— Len Dominguez, Carlos and Dominguez Fine Arts Gallery, Chicago.

A good lover will do that, see something worthwhile in you that you never knew was there. And when there's something you don't like to see in yourself a good lover won't see it either.
― Ana Castillo, Peel My Love Like an Onion

Poverty has its advantages. When you're that poor what would you have that anyone would want?
Except your peace of mind. Your dignity. Your heart.
The important things.
― Ana Castillo, Peel My Love Like an Onion

“The man you love cooking for you is good for you too.”
― Ana Castillo, Peel My Love Like an Onion

You say your city the way some Americans say this is their country. You never feel right saying that - my country. For some reason looking Mexican means you can't be American.
― Ana Castillo, Peel My Love Like an Onion

No comments: