Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Talk

Every time I touched her I heard sirens.

Sirens were her cologne.

Sirens, sirens, sirens all night screaming in my ears.

I jumped out the window and ran down the fire escape and never touched her again.

Where is she now?

She married that bowl-of-milk-mayor of Millbury.

The potato?

Yeah.

She's got two Afghan hounds and lives in Marieville.

Not Millbury?

They're divorced.

I saw her one Friday night at the Marieville Meat Market. She was buying frozen fish, and bananas.

Did you say hi?

No. I ran out before she saw me.

Her father Gabriel was a local loan shark. He kept his money in the back of a garage on School Street. The neighbors would see him coming and going every day, always with different cars, and different people waiting. My aunt lived in the apartment right there. At first she and the neighbors thought he was dealing stolen cars then they realized he was a loan shark.

One night someone snipped the padlock and took the safe. It was an easy score.

No comments: