Saturday, November 15, 2014

T's Dream

You and Bill were out of town for the weekend but had allowed us to use your small house to host an evening art event.
The house is high on a hill. A log cabin type affair and rustic as all hell, but not too far from the road, in Cumberland.

HK and I had arranged the paintings. Some were hanging and others were just set up on shelves, over the counter, on the counter, on top of books-anywhere we thought to put them.
They were all small paintings. There was plenty of food and drink and a very festive atmosphere.
It was summer.
People began to arrive. I thought- this is a happening, like the 60's.
All was well until a strange tall guy entered. (everyone knocked on the outside of the screen door to be let in) and went immediately to a painting.
It was a collage, and he peeled away a small section of paper in the lower right corner.
You can't do that! I said, You have to leave immediately.
He was troubled, and he left.

More people- so many people came. The house was full of colorful tchochkes, little knitted elves, etc. and they were everywhere. Somehow they were part of the exhibit, but they all belonged to you guys.

My friend Peter came. At first I didn't recognize him at the door, then I realized. He's drunk. "I wouldn't miss it!" He said, "Get me a drink."
Then I was lying down and he was examining me like a doctor. He was tapping my left side, ovary area and took out a long needle, like a probe, as if he was going to insert it.
If you do that, you won't get your drink, I said.

Many people! Everyone having fun.
A woman was looking in the freezer and took out something and started eating it. This is really good, she said, but I told her that she couldn't eat it because it belonged to Bill and Emily.

Things were winding down. Some people went out the back door, down a small hill through a field to an outbuilding.
It was a small studio with two pianos, and rugs on the floor and quite cozy. They started playing music.
The pianos were in perfect tune.

I went back inside the house. People were starting to clean up, when my friend David came and said next time he would bring a gift from Mexico.

When I left, people were still there. The collage was still ripped. I thought, it will be OK. They will clean up everything.

No comments: