Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Medusa with Arlo Guthrie Hair

My husband reminded me that I look like Arlo Guthrie now. I have silver spiral wringlets from swimming the turquoise sea (my local pool). My hair is rotini style (Italian corkscrew pasta) Shirley Temple hair. I prefer the Medusa image of snakes. As I tell the kids in the 'hood I have never dyed my hair it's changing color on its own. I would opt for purple hair, like grapes if I could try it for a day. I hope to have all white hair someday and maybe the spirals will still hold if not I'll tie it in a bun like my pal Anita does. She is 99 and looks like Georgia O'Keefe.

I love looking at huge black and white photos of artists, musicians and dancers faces especially pictures of their maturity when they are in their 70's, 80's 90's. I love how artists faces age. I am fascinated by the face of a well-lived creative life. When I was 11 drew an 'aged' portrait of myself. I have that face now but it is more interesting because I have a life more fascinating than I could have ever imagined. This time around I have love, health, imagination and community.

No comments: