Thursday, March 31, 2016

Deborah Tannen

The option of cutting off a family member who brings you grief is a modern liberation, like the freedom to choose a spouse or divorce one.

“Like family” can mean dropping in and making plans without planning: You might call up and say, “I just made lasagna. Why don’t you come over for dinner?” Or you can invite yourself: “I’m feeling kind of low. Can I come over for dinner?”

Many grown children continue to wish that their parents or siblings could see them for who they really are, not who they wish them to be. This goal can be realized in friendship. “She gets me,” a woman said of a friend. “When I’m with her I can be myself.”

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/25/when-friends-are-family/

Deborah Tannen is a professor of linguistics at Georgetown University and the author of “You Just Don’t Understand!” and “You’re Wearing THAT?”.

No comments: