Sunday, July 24, 2016

Lucky

We went to the Romanian Festival last night. The music made me cry. It touched some deep part of me. We tried all of the amazing cabbage rolls and sausages, feta and tomatoes and rice and salad and kalamata olives. "I could fall in love eating this meal" I said to my husband. It was amazing. A couple sat down with their dinner and a bottle of wine. When the sun went down the tents were lit up. I enjoyed watching the beautiful women and the handsome men with Romanian FACES dancing. I met a woman who is my neighbor and she told me she can't sleep because she is terrified of the neighborhood. I told her. "I am your neighbor don't be scared. And Father Onissie is next door and Alice and lots of good people live here." She agreed. She has a small child and her maternal instincts have gone haywire flooding her with fear. She is also undergoing cancer treatments and was homeless for a while. "I lived in Arizona for years but now I'm back. I plan to move to Colorado," she said. "I grew up here."
"I love Woonsocket because it is small and friendly and diverse with lots of history and cool buildings. People really care here. Do you know Father Dennis and Father Onissie, and Bishop Herson?" I asked. "I grew up with Father Dennis, he was my first pastor when he was just starting out in his 20's," she said. "Wow!" You are LUCKY.

No comments: