Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Rainbow

Last night after supper Lily and I took a walk. Families were hanging out on their porches and sidewalks cooling off. Three kids were riding pink plastic tricycles in the neighbor's driveway across the street. Their father and two older sisters watched sitting on the steps. The sunset illuminated the red buildings with peach glow and the sky was dark cerulean blue. Look at that light! I said to the family. They oohed and ahhed. I kept walking.

On the horizon I spotted a chunk of rainbow. I wanted to share it with kids in the park but the rainbow started to fade. At the park I approached a group of mismatched 10-year-olds at a picnic table. They all loved Lily.
They want a dog but I tell them dogs are a lot of work, like raising a child, their mother said.
All you need to give them is food and water, one girl said.
They also need walks and love and vaccinations, I explained.
And a license, one boy added.
Yes, a license, I agreed. Lily gets a four-mile walk each day but not when it's 90 degrees like today. Today we waited until now to come out for a walk.
Will she have babies? one girl asked.
No, when I adopted her she had the operation so she won't have puppies.
She's so soft and her ears are soft. The top of her head is silky soft.
It's because I've been hosing her down in the heat to cool her off.
What kind of dog is she? one boy asked.
A Labrador Retriever, which means she's bred to bring back a hunter's duck without squishing it.

The littlest boy looked up and asked me, Do you like polka? I was shocked.
How did you know?
He's very special that way, his mom said.
He has a good working antenna, I said. I totally love polka. My favorite band is a polka band in Texas. They even came to Woonsocket!
Do you play one of these? another boy asked, gesturing with his arms.
An accordion? I do! Lily began nibbling something in the grass.
Those are spicy peanuts. Would you like some? The boy sprinkled four into my hand.
These are good, where did you get them?
Dollar Tree!, two said in unison.
These are very picy speanuts, I said, laughing. So spicy they made my tongue twist the words.

The full moon had risen, poking through a hole in the clouds. We all stopped and stared.

No comments: