Monday, July 03, 2017

Sleep is Brain Glue!

I knew I needed sleep but the dog needed a walk and dinner needed to be made and finally I was done with my day, exhausted.

Sleep is the glue that holds my brain together. After two nights of waking early resulting in five hour sleeps, I was finally able to return to my bed at 7PM.

The pool reopened yesterday (amen) and I swam a full session knowing it would center me and help me sleep. It was a difficult swim after 2 days away and a cluttered mind, and shattered schedule.

Sleep is the glue that holds my brain together. After two nights of waking early resulting in five hour sleeps, I was finally able to sleep at 8PM.

I did not want to get out of bed at 4 AM again. I slept late. Even my husband and our dog slept late!

I am a turtle, I crawl off my morning rock to the pool the first chance I get.

Now with my super-short hair I rinse my face and my whole head under the kitchen faucet to cool off and wake up while I fix my coffee.

Summer is a little wiggly as far as the routines. My husband is a night owl and I want to spend time with him. I fade out before the sun sets. And my allergy medicines mess with my sleep-wake pattern but they are still better than no allergy medicine. Sinus headaches are agony left untreated. Thank god for decongestant, generic excedrin and generic benadryl.

I feel like an air traffic controller trying to stay the course. The difference between the 56 year old me and the younger me is I now support being centered and focused over everything which means I have to remain conscious and be the stable loving parent I never had. Being the FULCRUM is the goal. Long ago I figured out how to cook and feed myself healthy food (I was a prep chef in a few health food restaurants). But it took much longer for me to learn how important a routine schedule is for being my best for art and swimming and moods.

No comments: