Saturday, July 15, 2017

Twyla Hansen Poem

Trying to Pray

by Twyla Hansen

With my arms raised in a vee,
I gather the heavens and bring
my hands down slow together,
press palms and bow my head.

I try to forget the suffering,
the wars, the ravage of land
that threatens songbirds,
butterflies, and pollinators.

The ghosts of their wings flutter
past my closed eyes as I breathe
the spirit of seasons, the stirrings
in soil, trees moving with sap.

With my third eye, I conjure
the red fox, its healthy tail, recount
the good of this world, the farmer
tending her tomatoes, the beans

dazzled green al dente in butter,
salt and pepper, cows munching
on grass. The orb of sun-gold
from which all bounty flows.

“Trying to Pray” by Twyla M. Hansen from Rock. Tree. Bird. © The Backwaters Press, 2017.
Writer's Almanac

No comments: