Friday, February 23, 2018

Sylvia Harris, Jockey

How Horse Racing Trumped Bipolar Disorder for Jockey Sylvia Harris

Even as an adult, it felt like my voice and my input didn’t matter. And that was frustrating.

Being heard is an imperative aspect of health and healing.

What is it about horses that so engaged you and helped your illness?

Ever since I was child I was strongly attracted to animals – all little girls want a pony. As a kid, I spent a lot of time at Golden Gate Fields, Bay Meadows and Sonoma County Fairgrounds. My dad would usually take us and he would win. It was the excitement of a horse race. Plus it was just the horses. As big as they are, they don’t intentionally hurt you or judge you. They accept you. It’s an unconditional type of bond that is just therapeutic.

No comments: