Monday, March 26, 2018

Running in the Dark

Could Running in the Dark Be the Secret to Hitting a Faster Pace?
Yes and no. While there is no research that shows exercising in the dark actually makes you run faster, there are other benefits of running at night.
By Emily Abbate Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 8:41 am

I was in the middle of six pitch-black miles at 2 a.m., decked out in reflective gear and a safety vest for the second leg of my Ragnar Relay. With my stride guided by a headlamp and my breath providing a steady downbeat, I felt strong. While I was aware of the risks—inattentive drivers and unseen potholes—the dark enveloped me, pushed me to stay in the zone, and helped me cruise at a pace that made me feel like Superwoman.

So I had to wonder: Was the dark actually making me move faster?

Maybe, says Angie Fifer, Ph.D., executive board member of the Association for Applied Sport Psychology in Philadelphia. “When you run at night, there is nothing to do but pay attention to your surroundings,” she explains. “It can make us more aware and focused, which provides a freeing sensation that can help us pick up the pace.”

Abandoned streets can also encourage you to unleash your inner speed. “No one is looking and judging, so in your mind you think, ‘I can just go, without inhibitions,’ ” says Fifer.
Newswire: Midnight Runners Crew Takes Over Boston With Neon Lights, Techno Music
The growing group from the United Kingdom brought its party to the United States for the first time.
0:07
/
0:59

Safety Check

Use these simple strategies to log shadowed runs unscathed.

Get techy.
Leave the ’buds, but bring your phone: Having the bSafe app handy means a simple button push can alert friends of your location and that you’re in trouble if things go awry.

Stick to known trails.
The dangers of unexpected turns or a technical route outweigh the benefits of being one with nature. Save adventuring on new trails for well-lit weekend outings.

Light the night.
Now’s not the time for black zip-ups and matching tights. Layer on bright items with reflective hits, like a BSeen LED Slap band ($10, amazon.com).

No comments: