Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Dibs: In Search of Self

BOOK
https://www.amazon.com/Dibs-Search-Self-Renowned-Emotionally/dp/0345339258
I have read this book (2) times before. My copy of the book got lost when we moved to a new house, so I just had to get a new copy. I wish this book was available for my kindle, then I would always have it to refer to or read again when I want to. I have been so touched by this story, that I never have forgot it. It shows me how amazing children are and their ability to survive under unbelievable circumstances. It also makes me think about , but do not understand, what people can do to a child. I love children so much and my heart feels for them so deeply. I guess this is why I feel the need to read this book again and again. I recommend it for any one who is interested in children and their emotional makeup.

This book was assigned reading for my play therapy class and gave excellent insight into the process and effectiveness of play therapy in the life of this little boy. I ended up reading it twice for my assignment which I didn't mind because it is a quick and easy read. Dibs' story immediately grabs your heart and you are engaged in his journey to find himself again through play and the help of a caring therapist. The book was insightful into the process of play therapy, and it provided an excellent case example to use in parallel with our text. Virginia Axline's use of the skills in the session helped the textbook description make much more sense. I was also intrigued by the power of play in the lives of children and how much they use toys to express what is in their heart and mind when they either lack the vocabulary to express what they think and feel or when what they have experienced is too scary to them to talk about. For children, toys are often their words.

Friends have raved about htis book for years... whether you are a teacher, a patrent or a grandparent - this is a moving and insightful book. My best friend, at that time a teacher, bought 25 copies for his entire high school class - decades later, they still thank him.

This book is rightfully a classic of its kind. I had read it before and lost my copy so was delighted to read it again with more knowledge of understanding severely distressed children. If Miss A, as Dibs calls her, had not taken on the case of this lonely, misunderstood, mistreated, highly intelligent little boy, you can only imagine what would have become of him. His parents believe he is mentally subnormal. His school is about to reject him. All he does all day is sit under desks, refusing to speak or participate in any way with the other children.

This gradual unfolding of how to allow a small child to come to find himself in the playroom without any interrogation, with complete freedom to be himself and with minimal rules - "our time ends in five minutes Dibs" - is about it. No-one to say, you can't do that, even when he tips water all over the playroom floor or mixes the paints up into a glorious mess, or "you shouldn't want to bury your father," or even "why do you want to bury your father DIbs?"

A beautiful written and observed book about a beautiful 5 year old boy.

This book, although written decades ago, was still a riveting read. As a teacher, it was a very interesting reminder that what a child may present in class can have many different causes. I shared it with my special education team teacher and she found it as fascinating as I did and just as useful. Anyone going into education or any type of therapeutic work with children would benefit from reading this book.

I wish I had read this story 13 years ago when my son was first diagnosed with Autism. He has come so far, but I wonder if anything would be different had I taken the therapist approach instead of the mothers. Always teaching and pushing. I will be recommending this book to all of my special needs parents.

No comments: