Friday, December 06, 2019

Soup Supper

Tonight it was 40 degrees and rainy. We were tired and trying to come up with a plan for what to make for supper. I had a quart of chick pea stock leftover from pressure cooking a pound of beans two days ago. I decided to use it as a base for a soup. It already had olive oil in it. I poured it into my large pressure cooker. I added two chicken bouillon cubes and more water and a whole head of celery chopped, a pound of carrots chopped fine, and a whole bunch of onions (about 6) coarsely chopped. Then I added a cup of uncooked rice. I closed the lid and had it under pressure for ten minutes. It was thick, sweet, hot, delicious and soothing. It reminded me of my friend Lisa Chune's winter porridge called con·gee* or jook. The onions meted away and the rice thickened into porridge. The carrots and celery were delicious and colorful. I'll make this again sometime.

/ˈkänjē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: congee; plural noun: congees

(in Chinese cooking) broth or porridge made from rice.
Health benefits of congee
Another recipe
https://healthynibblesandbits.com/basic-congee-recipe-jook/

No comments: