Monday, January 27, 2020

12 Quarts of Chicken Soup

Last night I cooked a six pound chicken. I hadn't planned on it but there was a six pound chicken for 6 dollars on sale at the Stop and Shop down the street. So I pressure cooked the whole bird in my Instant pot. It was ready in 30 minutes. I saved the broth and crisped the top of the chicken under the broiler. We ate a little bit on toast for supper before bed. This morning I skimmed the fat off of the half gallon of chicken broth made from cooking the bird. Then I rinsed and chopped all of my kale, celery, potatoes, carrots, ginger, garlic, cilantro, in preparation for pressure cooking a vat of chicken soup. I separated the cooked chicken meat from the bones and added it to the cooked soup. Then I ladled it all into shallow containers to cool before freezing. I'm ready for a blizzard!

No comments: