Monday, August 08, 2022

Victor Methos: It's out of your hands anyway.

I used to spend my summers on my aunt's massive, forested ranch, and one year, around fifth grade, I had an unexplainable encounter with an animal I couldn't identify (that's the non-crazy sounding way to say you saw Bigfoot). I can't tell you how profound an experience that was. In an instant, everything the world had taught me was true was suddenly cast into doubt. All my teachers were wrong, all the top scientists were wrong, all the adults were wrong. Little twelve-year-old me had gained a knowledge about the world that few people knew to be true. It made me think, well what else is everyone wrong about? and I became obsessed with the paranormal. My main passion was and is reading. My local library and my school library had pretty much no books on paranormal phenomena at the time, so I thought, Why not write one? So that was my first piece of fiction writing. The hero finds a monster and has to either run from it or face it. That's pretty much the same story I've written ever since.

If I want to know what life was like in ancient Greece, I don't read the historians, I read the great playwrights. Fiction is an expression of the spirit of a people at a specific time. It's important. If you love writing, the fact that you get to do it at all is incredible. If you can make a living doing it, you're in the top 1% of all writers who have ever lived. Be happy now, and don't worry about the future. It's out of your hands anyway. 

At the age of thirteen, when his best friend was interrogated by the police for over eight hours and confessed to a crime he didn’t commit, Victor Methos knew he would one day become a lawyer. After graduating from law school at the University of Utah, he sharpened his teeth as a prosecutor for Salt Lake City before founding what would become the most successful criminal defense firm in Utah. In ten years, he conducted more than one hundred trials. One particular case stuck with him, and it eventually became the basis for his first major bestseller, The Neon Lawyer. Since that time, he has focused his work on legal thrillers and mysteries, winning the Harper Lee Prize for The Hallows and an Edgar nomination for Best Novel for his title A Gambler’s Jury. He currently splits his time between southern Utah and Las Vegas.

No comments: