Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Harley and Martha

What I want to know, Martha, what is going on? First it was the fasting. Then it was the retreats. And now you're adopting a family of refugees. What crime did you commit? What sin are you're paying for?

I don't know, Harley, Martha said, sobbing. I just feel compelled to do these things and then one thing leads to another.

I think you should ask yourself why. Not that they are bad things to do but what's the root of it? The origin of the drive? If you feel inadequate, take a look at it.

Martha was sobbing. I've always felt inadequate. You know that. You urged me to get involved with things. You thought it might help me.

Yes I did but not by sacrificing your well-being. You are allowed to be here. You are allowed to live your life. There's nothing wrong with helping others and contributing to society. But I'm worried about where this is coming from. You don't have to be Mother Theresa, you know? You are allowed be Martha Sternberg of Wilmington.

Martha laughed, blowing her nose. I love you, Harley.

Alice tip-toed back into her bedroom. She had felt her mother's anxiety mounting for weeks. It was a relief to finally hear her talking.

No comments: