Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Cooking and eating puts us in the human category.

Last night when I went to buy the meat for the French meat pies the big bald rosy-cheeked butcher in the long white coat was loading the shelves with fresh cellophane-covered packages of ground beef from the trolley. "Doesn't get any fresher than that," I said, noticing the beautiful color.

"Do you like chicken soup?" he asked. 

"I love it."

"Because there's a sale on boneless chicken breasts with carrots, celery, and noodles in the case over there. I've never made it."

"I made about six gallons of it last month. I need a break. Too much of a good thing," I said laughing.

"How do you make chicken soup? Can I use a crock pot?" he asked.

"Yes! They're made for that! You'll love it. Chop up onion and celery and add a ton of fresh garlic, a whole bulb. Just smash and peel."

"I love garlic" he said.

"Then add a little olive oil and saute and then add water or stock and the chicken. You can add a bay leaf, basil, oregano, salt and pepper if you want and simmer it all day. Don't add the noodles until the very end or they will absorb all of the liquid and become mush. You can cook the noodles separately and add them by the bowl."

I paused. "Oh, and  be sure to cool your soup thoroughly before you refrigerate it."

"I don't believe in putting hot things in the refrigerator, it feels wrong," he said. 

"I use a shallow pan for fast cooling in front of a fan because if the center of the soup stays even a little warm you can get sick because the bacteria can multiply. I speak from experience."

"Can you freeze soup? Because it's just for me."

"Yes I do it all the time. When I cook I always use the largest pot in the house, I make about two gallons at a time. I freeze the soup in quarts. I use old yogurt containers."

I waved good-bye. "Have fun! I will be back to check on you."

I love teaching people how to cook in the supermarket aisles! Cooking and eating puts us in the human category. Everybody eats!

No comments: