Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Favorite Foods

One year a few years ago I realized "How come I don't know how to make my favorite foods?" So I began making a point to make them. Spinach pie RI Italian style was on the top of my list. Of course they came out so good that I made them a bunch of times and made the dough.  I used a lot of garlic and olives and frozen spinach for the filling with olive oil and red chili flakes. Inspired by Jeanette's Bakery in North Providence.
 
Two winter's ago I made turkey meatballs. They were so good that I made them for five weeks straight. I used my homemade multigrain sourdough bread for the breadcrumbs, and celery, onion garlic. I am happy to share the recipe it's here on this blog.

Have you ever made your favorite foods? If not would you consider making them?
When it's a food you love you will be good at it. You'll be willing to make it over again until you master it.

I also love soups. Soup in a mug is like a t-shirt and jeans. COZY. 

I save vegetable steaming water for soup stock. The steaming water from the pressure cooker is GOLD.

Today I made two French meat pies. Since I've made them once before I was able to take a few liberties. Since the Instantpot uses very little water for cooking the potatoes I used a bit of wine (jug Chianti) when adding liquid to the meat. I also used extra onion and extra potato and extra spices, and I added water to the egg wash. I made my own crust using 2/3 c corn oil and 2c AP flour and 7 Tbsp iced water and a teaspoon of kosher salt. I chilled the dough for 15 minutes and then rolled it out between 2 pieces of wax paper. Easy as pie and no preservatives!

No comments: