Thursday, January 26, 2023

from an Interview by Michael Mendizza, Ojai, 20 April 1982

The concept of individuality is illusory. It has been maintained from time immemorial, and we have never really gone into it. We have accepted it. My question now is: why do we accept? Why do we accept what somebody says, psychologically? When I realise I am the rest of mankind, mankind is me. I am the history of mankind, the book of mankind. If I know how to read it, I don’t depend on anybody. So can I, without distortion, without prejudice, without choice, be aware of the content of this book, which is me? To read it very carefully, never distorting it, requires a great deal of attention, a great deal of energy, intensity, immediacy. But we are not willing to do all that because we think it is too tiresome. The psychological guidance by another, whether religious guidance or the guidance of the psychologist, is totally wrong because then you are making humanity into children, who have to be guided, told, encouraged.

J Krishnamurti

No comments: