Saturday, June 03, 2023

calm myself and center my consciousness.

Because caffeine is a stimulant, coffee and caffeinated sodas raise the volume on my already elevated mood. Although alcohol is a depressant, it acts like a stimulant in my body when I’m hypomanic.

I’ve heard that meditation is helpful for people experiencing hypomania. It may work for you, but if I’m hypomanic, I can’t sit still long enough to do it. Being alone with my thoughts is impossible.
However, I’ve found that yoga is a great alternative. Yoga forces me to be mindful of my body and my breathing, and that allows me to calm myself and center my consciousness.
Because yoga involves movement, and it’s physically strenuous without being high-impact, I’ve found I can do yoga even while my mind is racing. I see it as a physical challenge, and it’s relaxing to stretch my body and then release poses.
I take yoga classes so I’m not in charge of disciplining myself, and by engaging in a group environment, I’m pulled out of my own head. source
Carrie Cantwell

No comments: