Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Richard Pine lives in Corfu, Greece, where he is director of the Durrell Library and writes Letter from Greece for The Irish Times

I am often asked if my ability to work has changed as a result of being sober. The answer is quite definitely: no. There is no discernible difference between “before” and “after”. Since 2013, I have written seven books, and none of them seems any better, or worse, than their 13 predecessors.

I’m fortunate in living in Greece, where we have a “cafe culture” rather than a “pub culture”. It’s quite normal for a group at a cafe to enjoy ouzo, beer, wine, coffee and soft drinks. No one comments. When I go into an Irish pub and order a coffee or a Coca-Cola, the barman will look at me askance, with pitying eyes, as if I am denying what a pub is for.

Apart from the appalling cost of existence in Ireland, it’s a reason for living where I do.

No comments: