Sunday, May 05, 2024

Kaye Gibbons

 https://www.fosters.com/story/lifestyle/2006/03/11/kaye-gibbons-looks-at-life/52539036007/

Today is the birthday of Kaye Gibbons, born in Nash County, North Carolina (1960), the daughter of a poor tobacco farmer. Her mother committed suicide when Kaye was 10 years old, and her father drank himself to death a year later. She said it was "the sort of childhood that encourages someone to either become a writer or to rob convenience stores." She went to college and started writing a novel based on her childhood, called Ellen Foster (1987). The novel begins: "When I was little I would think of ways to kill my daddy. I would figure out this or that way and run it down through my head until it got easy. ... But I did not kill my daddy. He drank his own self to death the year after the County moved me out."

No comments: