We've been working to educate our puppy about the joys of nail trimming. We touch her paws whenever we have a relaxed moment. We take out the nail clippers and make them click a few times and give her a piece of kibble. We repeat this every few days. We also touch the clippers to her paws and give her a treat then put them away.
Now when I take out the clippers both dogs wag their tails knowing they will be rewarded in this activity.
Yesterday while I was trimming Romeo's nails Lulu came in to investigate. I gave them both treats and praise. Then I snipped Lulu's dew claws and rewarded her after each. I was able to continue snipping nails on one paw rewarding after each nail. This was a great victory! She began to get squirmy so I stopped. I will resume this process when Romeo needs a touch up on his nails. Perhaps then I can sneak in the trimming of Lulu's right paw.

No comments:
Post a Comment