Monday, January 29, 2007

Bovine Serenade

One summer twenty-five years ago I was traveling with my friend Michael's band in New Hampshire. We were staying at a farm. One day I asked to borrow his alto sax. He said sure. I stood out in a field and made long tones. Grazing cows gathered around me. They seemed to like the sounds. I kept playing and soon spotted dark shapes in the distance. I thought oh, horses, and kept playing the long tones. The dark shapes got closer and closer. They were bulls! I jumped the fence, but kept playing. The bulls started mounting the cows. I guess the sax is a bovine aphrodisiac.

Perhaps I should put an ad in the Farmer's Almanac: BOVINE APHRODISIAC SAX PLAYER FOR HIRE, to play for the cows. I'd save the farmers the artificial insemination costs. Then play at bars on the weekends!

No comments: