Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Poolside

I am so glad to be a healthy breather again!! I've been gigging and jamming like a maniac, and cute young men want to give me sax tips. Life just gets better! This morning I went swimming at the Y. I am trying to tone up so my horn-carrying muscles stay strong (knees and legs and shoulders and ribs). I used to be a fanatical swimmer because it was my only joy when I did kids books. Now swimming is just one of my many joys. As it should be.

While I was at the YMCA the elderly ladies were chatting while floating on brightly colored foam noodles. One by one they got out of the pool and toweled off. They were in one-piece flowered bathing suits with pinned-up hair. Beside the pool was a table with a red paper tablecloth, a carrot cake, two bottles of sparkling cider, and champagne glasses. They were having a poolside birthday party for one of the ladies. I watched for a bit and then snuck into the shower to beat the crowd.

No comments: