Saturday, January 13, 2007

Let Me Hide In The Kitchen

Twenty eight years ago I found my first community in the kitchen of a health-food restaurant. It was in an 18th-century house located in the Portuguese neighborhood of Providence. I made carrot juice and smoothies to order, baked breads and apple pies, and whipped the whip cream by hand. From there I worked in many other restaurant kitchens making chili, chocolate pudding, pecan pies, spinach pies, hummus, tabbouleh, marinades, soups, sandwiches, and salads. I learned to cook by watching, sniffing, tasting, and then imitating everything the next day in my little apartment kitchen. I loved the physicality of the work, I thought the kitchen was a sexy place. I still get cravings to hide in restaurant kitchens with an apron on and get to work among the sounds and smells and dramas. Let me hide backstage with the simmering sauces and broiling meats.

When friends visit, I cook! When I visit friends, I cook!

No comments: