Saturday, January 20, 2007

Dodge Dart

When I was in fourth grade my teacher, Miss Blum, invited me to attend her Shakespeare workshop held in her New York City apartment every week, on folding chairs. I would go with her and sleep over. My mom said it was okay. I remember the after-school trip, Miss Blum driving her 1966 dark-green Dodge Dart into Manhattan with Miss Terranova and Miss Schneider, the two other fourth-grade teachers. Miss Blum lived beside a gas station in a dark apartment behind a billboard. The song that had the lyrics "Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me" was a hit, and I imagined her in that song. The song "One less bell to answer, one less egg to fry," also made me think of her. I guess she seemed lonely to me.

Miss Terranova had straight, thick, jet-black hair down to her elbows. She had a warm red-brown skin color and often wore a deep-purple suede-fringe mini-dress. She mesmerized all of us kids with her unbelievably gorgeous muscular legs.

No comments: