Friday, January 05, 2007

Curtains

This week I am obsessed with light. I want to take down all my curtains to see the dawn sky, to take in the moon and sunshine, but at the same time I require privacy. What a metaphor for the human psyche. I took a few curtains down and washed them, realizing it was two or possibly three years of dust holding them up! Wouldn't it be cool to have curtains that adapt to the available light like those eyeglasses?

I guess it's our job to continually adjust to how much light comes in, like the pupils in our eyes. How much of the outside world do we let in and how much of our inner world do we want to protect and amplify? I pull the curtain, shutting out most popular culture, then I can cultivate sourdough, eat pickles, and listen to saxophone music.

No comments: