Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hot September

It was 80 degrees today. I swam in the ice cold river again. I wish I could swim outside through the winter. I'd join the Brighton Beach Polar Bears if I lived in my grandparents' old neighborhood. They were right next to the boardwalk, 711 Brightwater court, top (6th) floor. I'd sit on the end of one of their pink twin beds and all I'd see was ocean and Grandma's gigantic mirrored vanity! When we were 4 and 6 my sister and I would play in the vanity cave where the chair would usually sit. It was a box of mirrors and made a reflection that was an infinity of us. We'd sing and clap our hands and be our own chorus line. Grandma would feed us chunks of cantaloupe and honeydew to eat with toothpicks after a day on the beach. Grandpa would sit on the windowsill watching the sunbathers in bikinis through his binoculars. On rainy days he'd play golf on the green living room carpet.

No comments: